Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Incognito's bad attitude

Much to the great concern and dismay of most of my girlfriends, I am a crazy sports fan--most particularly of college and professional football. I have my favorite teams which I expect to light up my life beginning late summer and through bowl games, playoffs and well into the next February when the time for the greatest football show of all time finally rolls around: The Super Bowl.

Great expectations
It's good to have two teams* to root for in case one of them turns into a doggie and you have to wear a bag over your head in shame. Sometimes, you have to wear two bags if both your teams let you down. It can be a devastating passage in one's life to have the quarterbacks you've helped raise (in your mind), get manhandled by five or six semis dressed up like defensive linemen because your offensive linemen look like Bambi on an interstate at night.

Yes, heartbreak accompanies the downside of fandom. It is a hazard which we must prepare ourselves for. I think the professionals should call it "Rams Syndrome." Perennial Los Angeles Rams fans know what I'm talking about. As far as I know, there is no cure, only learning to live with it.

Sticks and stones
Because I have invested nearly fifty-five years to the practice of watching football (I was a cheerleader in junior/high school and am a coach's kid), and because I'm old, I am claiming a certain right to holler about this ridiculous Incognito/Martin bullying baloney.

This issue belongs with the players, the owners and the coaches. Hazing is not new. Listen to the ex-NFL guys asserting the locker room activities, hazing practices, etc. Martin was stupid to bring it to the media and now Incognito will have to go away for a while. It's all so absurd. These are words, people. Words. So, Martin makes a federal case out of it? Please. He's an NFL player, for cripes sake. He can't take it? Please. He gets zero respect from me.

Non-fans can ride their high horses all they want; the fans of football understand that these very special people who number in the low thousands, these super human physical powerhouses provide the kind of competitive spirit and excitement that can't be found anywhere else in the world. In fact, football is the last truly American sport.

If non-fans in the media don't like football, they can try to outlaw it. As far as I know, it is still legal to play and watch football.

Weed out the bad apples and move forward. Like this is anything new...

Thanks for the read.


*Texas Christian Horned Frogs (Where's my bag?)
  Kansas City Chiefs 9-0


No comments:

Post a Comment